Friday, October 5, 2012

Way Too Easy Asian Vegetable Noodle Soup




     I get a little too excited when I enter a Trader Joe’s, especially in the fall. I tend to grab a basket, thinking I will only be buying a few staple items. I end up getting an upper body workout because the friendly staff tells me all of their TJ’s recipe secrets and I must try every ingenious meal.  Today I picked up some staples including chai tea, pumpkin bread mix, edamame and naan. I also grabbed the ingredients for my recipe for the easiest Asian inspired soup that I have ever made.

     My “recipe” (and I must use this word loosely) uses a bag of Trader Joe’s frozen Asian Stir Fry Vegetables, four cups of beef broth or stock and half a package of chow mein or udon noodles.  Tonight I am adding some very thinly sliced beef to make the soup at bit more hearty.  The entire dish takes about 10 minutes to make.   
     Even though I feel like I am cheating on my kitchen, it is hard to complain about 10 minutes and a healthy meal. I am serving this soup with some lightly salted edamame as a starter.  Hopefully, you can use this idea as a starting point and incorporate your favorite veggies. It is perfect for wintertime or when you do not have fresh produce available; because it is always possible find a bag of mixed vegetables at the store or in the back of your freezer. This recipe easily serves 3 (or two super hungry people that need an extra dose of vegetables.) 

Ingredients

1 bag frozen Trader Joe’s Asian Vegetables with Beijing Style Soy Sauce (if you don’t have access to this product, use a bag of frozen stir fry vegetables and low sodium soy sauce to taste.)
4 cups of beef broth
½ bag (about 6 ounces) udon or chow mein noodles – I found a hybrid of both that I love at World Market
¼ pound of super thinly sliced sirloin tip steak (optional) 

Directions

Break your noodles in half and cook as per package instructions. Remember that most Asian style noodles only need a few minutes to cook.  

Bring your broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan.  Add your bag of frozen vegetables and adjust your heat to keep the broth at a simmer.  Allow your vegetables to cook for 2-3 minutes.  Add in the package of sauce or add soy sauce to taste. If you wish, add your thinly sliced steak pieces and allow to simmer for 2 more minutes.  Make sure to taste your broth for seasoning. I often add a few turns of freshly cracked black pepper. 

Place your noodles in the bottom of the bowl and ladle over your soup.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment