Wednesday, August 21, 2013

I'm Back! How is Your Garden Growing?


I’m back! I’m sorry it has been so long. This summer has been quite the adventure, filled with some ups and downs. I’ve worked on getting in shape, perfecting my sauce recipe for a possible business venture and getting my garden going. To be honest, all I want right now is a pumpkin spice latte and some Trader Joe’s pumpkin loaf. But alas, it is 90 degrees out and even though kids are back in school, fall feels like it is eons away.
However, I will say that one of the benefits of this time of year is not having to pay high, grocery store prices for my produce. This year I planted a variety of herbs and vegetables and some things have fared better than others.  A series of cool, damp nights have definitely slowed the progress of my tomatoes, which like wine grapes, need a steady, small amount of water to develop their sweetness. Luckily, I have a decent farmer's market to feed my tomato addiction, just minutes from my house. My romaine came in nicely and my cucumbers and zucchini make me feel like I should be entering some sort of state fair competition.  I’ve enjoyed making pesto from my basil and not having to pay $2 every time I want a smidge of parsley or tarragon.

I will go ahead and keep this entry short and sweet. However, feel free to check out a simple tomato recipe and zucchini tip below that I have been utilizing this summer. Also, please feel free to share any recipes or thoughts on your gardening experiences!

Warm Tomato Salad
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 pint or 2 handfuls of cherry (or other small) tomatoes, rinsed and halved  
1 small shallot, diced
1 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 pinch of sea salt
¼ cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley

Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add oil, shallots and garlic and cook 2 minutes. Turn heat to medium-high and add the tomatoes and cook until skins begin to wrinkle. This usually takes two to three minutes. Add vinegar and remove from heat. Add salt and parsley. Toss and serve.

How to Freeze Zucchini

Dice your zucchini or summer squash into one inch cubes and blanch for one minute in a large pot of unsalted boiling water. Immediately transfer the zucchini to and ice bath and once cool spread it onto a parchment-lined sheet pan and place it in the freezer. Once frozen, separate the zucchini into individually portioned freezer bags for later use. I love to sauté up these cubes with some chunky tomato sauce or add them to homemade minestrone.


No comments:

Post a Comment