Monday, July 17, 2017

Three Elements to an Educational Day - Reading, Music and Visual Arts

We all have a stack of books that we read to our child on a daily basis, but do we take the time and see the value in other art forms? From the time me son was born, I knew that wanted to incorporate a reading time, a time to look at some artistic images and a and music time into our daily lives. I think because there is so much literature surrounding the link between book time and essential skills like vocabulary, early communication and early literacy; bedtime books have become a ubiquitous part of our culture. 

As a former early childhood educator, I definitely agree. I've written blogs on the topic in the past. However, I also think that parents should consider incorporating music and visual art into their child's daily routine. Personally, I use a couple of resources. I use our boxed curriculum by Mother Goose Time. It includes daily art projects, a circle time and a monthly themed CD. Also, I utilizes actual photos of different concepts, from police officers to parrots that include questions to prompt comprehensive discussions. We are thankful to have had Mother Goose Time to Provide our family with an educational box for this month.
 
In our daily routine, we use the circle time CD in the morning and alternate with the Wiggleworms soundtrack from Chicago's Old Town School of Folk Music. We have also added on a Mother Goose Time DVD called Dance n' Beats. This DVD actually takes the topics you are discussing in the month and teachers your child songs and dances to go along with that theme. Following multi-step directions has been a skill that we need some extra work on. 
In the car, we alternate between the Mother Goose Time themed CD and what is on the radio. Finally, at or after dinner, have a rock star dance party by listening to songs like Another One Bites the Dust, Splish Splash and Johnny B. Good. Sometimes we transition from the jumping, spinning dance party to a classical musical cool down. 

I am also lucky that my husband is a guitar player himself and can dabble in other instruments as well. I am all about using your resources. Since my son was one year old, we have practiced playing around and repeating the beat on our favorite drum. This drum was a great purchase!
 
We also use a second hand Usborne Children's Book of Art on a weekly basis. We pick an artist or painting in the book to discuss. I often employ a method that was popularized by homeschooling pioneer, Charlotte Mason. I show my son a painting, sculpture or drawing and ask time to think about the colors, images, shapes etc. for 30 seconds. Then I take the photo away and ask him to tell me what he can about the image. It is interesting to see what stands out to him and it helps us touch on new vocabulary, practice old concepts and develop an interest in different forms of art.
Overall, I encourage parents to include a pit of art everyday. 
 
Whether it be a pre-prepped project from Mother Goose Time, a sing along in the car or a discussion about a poster you see at the pediatrician's office, these are valuable investments in your child's expanding knowledge of the world. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment