Monday, August 14, 2017

Getting Twice the Use Out of Project Materials


We have had another fun week discussing super heroes, super powers and doing amazing (I mean super) projects. We talked about invisibility and made perplexing paintings and created magic message revealing wands. We practiced sounding out our CVC (consonant, vowel, consonant) words, and learned some new sight words with a super hero themed I Can Read early reader book.

We also used a manipulative that we received in this month's box that has been an overwhelming hit with the three year old crowd: magnetic wands! After all of these activities, I realized we not only had some left over materials, but I also had amazing items that I could re-purpose for other simple projects that I have been wanting to test out! With the Mother Goose Time curriculum box, I've learned that you can do double duty with a lot of the materials.

Materials like early readers and the fabulous magnetic wands will grow with my son. I happened to have just read a bit in an encyclopedia (I know its sounds random, but my kid likes to have the encyclopedia read to him,) about magnets. He wanted to know how strong magnets could be. He also wanted to know if a magnet could be covered in different materials to make it weaker or stronger. Specifically, if water could stop magnetic objects from attracting one another. So apparently Mother Goose Time knew this was going to happen in August and sent me these good quality magnetic wands to experiment with. Thanks for knowing!

We proceeded to fill recycled, plastic dumpling trays with metal paper clips and water. We then froze the trays and once frozen, popped them out onto a baking sheet. My son loved lifting the cubes with the magnetic wands and super hero powers. We then let the ice melt; not a long wait on a hot, summer day. We then talked about the super powers of matter, and how water is easily transformed from a solid, to liquid and then to a gas. Of course. we boiled the water and watched the evaporation in action.

We have loved receiving this curriculum this month in exchange for our thoughts and experiences. Definitely check out how you can get multiple uses out of your Mother Goose Time monthly box.

No comments:

Post a Comment