Sunday, September 17, 2017

How I Don't Stay Organized...and I Am Okay with That

I am a disorganized person. I literally had gloves with a long strand of yarn fed through the arms of my winter jacket until I was 12. My mom was just completely over buying three to four pairs of gloves a year.

My disorganization probably is a bit due to my ADHD diagnosis and a bit my personality. My brain works like a run-on sentence. I have ideas for businesses, blogs and how to be a better parent constantly jumping around in there. No joke, I did a load of dishes between the third and fourth paragraph of this blog. Being a toddler mom has probably brought my disorganization to an award winning level.

Not only am I a toddler mom, but also a mom who is supplementing education at home. As of this blog, I have officially used the Mother Goose Time curriculum for one year. Last year I prepared myself for the experience. I reread old textbooks, I got the Melissa and Doug work table, I ran out and bought poster boards to create a tidy work space that I decided would be most conducive to my son's learning. I bought extra decorations and "flair" from OrientalTrading.com. It was so shiny and new. It continued to look that way until about January.

What my son loves most about life and Mother Goose Time is the creativity of it all, the art, the mess the dance moves and the total immersion into a world of learning by doing. So around the new year, we continued discussing the calendar and weather with the poster board, but I realized that laying out the games, puzzles, I can Read books and other items across the living room floor was more his style; and in a way, more my style.

I realized that using an old baking sheet on the kitchen table and painting himself blue with a toothbrush, while pointing out how he's using the different senses that we've discussed in our month's unit, is more his style. I began to appreciate the open ended projects and prompts that Mother Goose Time has pre-organized for my and my son. My son loves when I tell him about the artist or style that Mother Goose has introduced to us, but he also then loves to make "Adrian's style." We are so lucky that this month we have received the curriculum box in exchange for sharing our experience.

I encourage any preschool parent to check out Mother Goose Time. You don't need the perfect poster board (Although you get everything you need with this curriculum) or the special toddler desk to invest in your child's education and entertainment. Plus, Mother Goose Time basically does most of the organized for you, with individually wrapped projects and daily activities. No special yarn and glove contraption required!

No comments:

Post a Comment