Monday, October 9, 2017

Making the Most of Our Pumpkin Patch Trip with Mother Goose Time

If you know our family, you probably know that we have been utilizing a monthly curriculum box for the last year. From books and puzzles, to music and manipulatives, we love the long-term use we have gotten from each Mother Goose Time box. One of the features that sets this subscription apart is the individually wrapped packs that designate each day of themed activities for you to enjoy with your kids.

Every month, I open the box and look through the packs to decide if any of them coordinate well with outings we plan to do and set them aside for a day or two before that outing. One of my favorite packs every month is the party pack! Mother Goose Time throws in a bonus and it has everything you would need to have a celebration. As a parent of one child, I have used these party packs as play date packs or a chance to have a special day with grandparents.

This month, Mother Goose Time knew we were headed to the pumpkin patch. So we got everything from invitations (which we practiced mailing to grandma,) to a set up for our own little indoor patch, to pin the patch on the scarecrow. We also picked out some books at our library that were a big hit. It's Pumpkin Time and Autumn Leaves are great reads if you are doing a Fall unit or just getting into the spirit of the season with your kids.

Before we left, we made the suggested snacks (because our local pumpkin patch is basically a carnival with bank--breaking caramel apples,) we played pin the patch on the scarecrow and set up a spot for our own patch once we brought home out pumpkins.

Of course, we had a fantastic time. We climbed hay bales, rode ponies and ran through rows of pumpkins. We also took the time to stop and investigate the pumpkins with our Mother Goose Time magnifying glass. We noticed that pumpkins came in different shapes, colors, sizes and textures. One thing that I love about Mother Goose Time, is that they really listen to the parents and teachers that use their product.

This year, I have noticed a marked difference in the suggestions for adapting and assessing a child's work. It has become an easy task to flip to the pages in the lesson plan books and remind myself what skills I should be on the lookout for. Since I am not a teacher of many, I use this and in my son's case, the suggested sensory adaptions, to check how my child is learning and growing over time, both during our learning time and out in the world. While we were at the pumpkin patch I asked my son if he could create some patterns using different pumpkins, then I asked him to sort them back into their correct spots.



When we arrived home placed our pumpkins in their new patch and made our own paper bag pumpkins. We were excited to receive October's box in exchange for sharing out honest opinion. Over the last year, I have come to appreciate making the most of these family moments with Mother Goose Time! I can't wait to see what is in store for next month's family party day.


No comments:

Post a Comment