Friday, January 18, 2013

Crazy for Coupons….Not for Crap




It’s a funny thing to be confronted by friends, family and perfect strangers about something as simple as your method of grocery shopping. However, an excited cashier or a testy customer in my checkout line has become a common occurrence when I go shopping. Over time, I have noticed that about 80% of people think my calculated strategy of shopping is a good thing, 10% get REALLY excited and the final 10% act like I am stealing money out of their wallets.  
 
I am guessing that the 10% of shoppers and cashiers, who perceive me to be a criminal, developed this opinion based on shows that depict couponers as people with mass stockpiles of processed foods, cat treats and air fresheners.  For some, I’m sure this hobby goes beyond saving money and becomes more of an addiction.  So to clear the air, I am not an Extreme Hoarder, for lack of a better way of putting it. I do not have a room in my house dedicated to storing tubes of toothpaste. 

Every week, I go to the store and buy the same products as other shoppers.  The difference is, I am often buying enough of a certain product to last two to three months.  This is because the average item goes on sale every 12 weeks.  Given that I am part of a relatively small household, a three month supply of toilet paper or pasta does not take up an outrageous amount of space.  One investment that my husband and I did make was a chest freezer that is housed in our garage.  It is great for storing frozen meat, fish and vegetables, as well as meals that can be made in bulk and frozen. 

On a weekly basis I make three stops. I pick up items at Target, CVS and either Whole Foods or Jewel-Osco.  Every other week, I order fresh organic produce and meat from a local butcher, using a site with great promotional codes called Artizone.com. Like other shoppers, I purchase the basics, fresh produce, proteins, paper products, cleaning products, pet items and toiletries.  I have a set budget of $25.00 to $30.00 for the week. I try to buy organic when I can, as well as grass-fed and hormone-free meats.  My typical cost before coupons is between $90.00 and $120.00.  After combining manufacturer coupons, store coupons, sales and Catalina promotions, I almost always stick to my $25.00 budget. 

I will be honest. There is time that must be invested. However, it is not the 40 couponing work week that some may assume. I spend about an hour every week researching, printing and clipping my coupons. I then spend between an hour and a half and two hours traveling to the stores and shopping.  I have found that if you invest the time to get organized, the process at the store runs relatively smoothly.


This adventure in saving money as also had some added bonuses. I have learned to be more patient and less cynical about people (something that I have struggled with!) I have learned that not everybody will appreciate your smile or “thank you,” but it is worth the effort to be polite. For the first time since high school, I can do math in my head!  I have learned that just because something is free, does not mean that it is a good deal for me.  Finally, I have learned that no matter where you are in life, you can afford to be happier, healthier and even help others to do the same.

Some of my favorite sites for saving:

  

No comments:

Post a Comment