Wednesday, January 30, 2013

In a Hurry Curry Chicken and Rice Soup


I know what most of you are probably thinking: Another chicken soup recipe? 

Yes, another AMAZING chicken soup recipe! This one spices things up. When it's cold outside, I tend to crave soup. However, I also crave spices that are native to the Middle East. I feel like they really warm up my whole body. For this recipe, I usually use some chicken stock from my recipe below, or a box of low sodium stock. I then add some simple items that many of us will already find in our kitchens. I love this recipe because it is a great way to use up leftover chicken. You can even use a steam bag of rice that can often be found on sale for $1 in the freezer section of your grocery store. This tip will cut your cook time down to just 15 minutes! 



I made this recipe for the first time about a month ago and froze the leftovers for a second meal. If you choose to make a big batch and freeze some as well, I recommend that you add 1/3 cup of chicken broth when reheating, since the soup tends to thicken up the second time around.

Tonight my husband and I will be having this soup with some freshly baked bread. This is literally the 5th time I have tried to make a simple loaf of bread, and so far it is the only time it actually came out right! I found the recipe on one of my favorite frugal sites that is based out of the Chicago area. Definitely check it out if you are a bread baking beginner. 

Keep Warm and Enjoy! 



Serves 4

Ingredients
  • 1 precooked chicken breast (if you only have uncooked, poach a chicken breast in some broth) - chopped or shredded into bite-size pieces
  • 2 medium carrots, sliced diagonally into 1-inch pieces
  • 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock 
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 small onion, very thinly sliced
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder (I use a common yellow Madras)
  • 1/3 cup uncooked rice - Jasmine tends to work best
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
  • 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Directions

Heat the butter in a heavy bottom soup pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion and carrot and cook until they begin to soften, 5 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook for 1 minute. Add the rice and broth. Increase the heat to medium, cover and simmer until the rice is slightly overcooked, about 20 minutes.

Puree the rice and broth mixture with an immersion blender until mostly smooth (or use a potato masher if you want to leave some of the rice whole). Add in your chicken pieces and the chopped dill. Serve the soup with lemon wedges.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment