Saturday, March 4, 2017

Preschool at Home for a Year, an Accidental Choice



I am a mom who does ALL of the research. Like all of it. All of the Youtube videos, tutorials, asking the Facebook mom's group, I do it. I also have worked in small business marketing and taught in the Montessori and the public school system. So last summer, I did all the research on two year old preschool programs. I asked the neighbors about the park district versus the church school. I visited four schools with my son in tow. I talked to my husband about cost and felt anxious about prepping my child for the public school kindergarten program that discussing coding instead of the silly putty and tree climbing of my youth. 


Then it happened. On the day registration opened, I signed baby boy up for 2 year old preschool at a local church. I told the teacher about his inability to drink from an open cup, his love of long, long books and about the Occupational Therapy he was receiving to address tone and sensory issues. I felt pretty good. Summer flew by and on the day we were to meet the teachers and other students in his class, I walked my son to a park for the gathering. Once there, I noticed the kids were sitting at the picnic tables being told to color in the lines while teachers said hello to the parents. My son was the one climbing the picnic table. By the end of the "play and meet" session, we were no longer enrolled in 2 year old preschool. 

As a former teacher, I can appreciate how the traditional classroom provides socialization and structure that is beneficial. But I also know my child and I encourage parents, especially if the plan is that at 6 years, your child will enter the traditional school system in the U.S., to really get to know your child and his or her learning style. This setting wasn't right for the boy that has to bust a move every time he hears a great song. Along the way, through trial and error I have become a more flexible parent than I ever thought my anxious, city-girl self could be. Because of that I began "homeschooling" my 2 year old. Yes, I did ALL the research again. I even found an art and movement based program that meshed with my son's personality and didn't penalize him for having certain movement or sensory needs. So if you are someone who also does ALL the research, don't be afraid to change course or follow a path that isn't what your brain is set on. I am not terribly far along the journey, but I truly feel that engaging with your child and finding what really works best for him or her, will prove to be an investment that pays your family back one hundred times over. 


No comments:

Post a Comment