Sunday, March 5, 2017

Where My Money Goes - Toddler Activities!

Here is a list of the activities I have tried with my 2.5 year old:
Gymnastics
Library Story Time
Swim Lessons
Occupational Therapy
Feeding Therapy
Music Classes
Art Classes
Children's Museum Activities
Botanic Garden Classes
Play Places
Mom's Group Play Dates
Classes on a Working Farm
More stuff I don't even remember but have pictures on my phone to prove I did it.



Most of the classes in my area that meet weekly, average $80 per month. I struggle because as a parent of a child with special sensory or other needs, I find myself trying, hoping and sometimes investing in programs that may or may not be a good fit. What I've learned is that trying a new thing is okay and even investing in that new thing for 4 sessions of something your child shows an interest in, before moving on. It is also sometimes necessary to pay more for the smaller, my personalized class to get what you want. On the flip side, I found myself paying that hefty monthly charge for my then 9 month old to shake a rattle in music class, while a wonderful woman played guitar. In retrospect, free library story time would have been just fine at that stage.



Often times what it comes down to for us in the toddler stage is the teacher. That warm friendly face that takes the time to engage with my son, even if he has his hands over his ears blocking out the other kids, is what makes or breaks the class experience.

Are "swim schools" big where you live? They are here in the Midwest. We have found ourselves more than once, in a pool with 6 or 7 splashing toddlers, trying to get my son acclimated to the water. Recently, I watched my son try a new place called the Big Blue Swim School. We went in and there were kids, parents and Starbucks cups galore. We got our son changed and my husband helped my son step into the pool to meet his two new toddler friends and teacher. By the way, does anyone else immediately refer to all other children around your child's ages as friends. A la, "Share with your friends, Annie!" or "Don't bite your friends John!" I digress. So as soon as my son entered the pool he started talking to get the instructors attention. Guess what? She immediately gave him her attention. For two whole minutes she asked him questions and showed him floating toys. He did very well. He was excited about trying to float on his back, but alas he tried with her encouragement. I know that the little time investments and moments mean so much to kids coming from parents, but as parents we should hope teachers, instructors and helpers in their lives give them that as well.

The jury is still out on whether we will be making the $85 a month toddler swim lesson investment, but if we do, we will be signing up for that one teacher's class, because she is investing right back into my son's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment